At West Tennessee Bone & Joint, we utilize the latest treatments and technology to evaluate and manage problems involving pain or injury in the hand including the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome. Besides surgical and medical treatment options, we offer a full range of physical therapy services.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a painful condition affecting the hand and wrist. The carpal tunnel is a narrow passageway made up of bones, ligaments, the median nerve and tendons of the thumb and fingers. When structures within this tunnel become inflamed, they squeeze or entrap the median nerve, which results in pain, numbness and/or tingling in the thumb and index and middle fingers.
Symptoms of CTS
- Pain in the hand and fingers
- Loss of strength and motor function
Most common causes
- Repetitive use of hand with wrist at acute wrist angles
- Repetitive use of vibrating tools
- Injury to the wrist, such as fracture or sprain
Tips for preventing CTS
- Take frequent rest breaks from repetitive hand movements.
- Avoid bending or extending wrists during repetitive activities.
- Switch hands during work tasks.
- Avoid resting wrists on hard surfaces for long periods.